Tips For Sewing with Batik Fabric
Batik is an ancient technique that was started in Egypt. Batik fabric is a traditionally hand-dyed fabric that uses the dyeing known as Batik. Traditionally, batik is done by hand, but in the emerging world, Batik is now performed with the help of a machine, dyed in a very persuasive manner.
Batik Fabric is made by applying wax and then going through the dying process. The process through the machine is cheaper than the labor-intensive technique. The machine produces fabric Known as the wax print fabric but not batik fabric.
Batik fabric involves beautiful designs and patterns such as web-like lines, crackling lines, etc. It is also known as batik printing.
Batik printing is also performed in India, China, Japan, and Africa in their old days. The preference is regarded based on Indonesian, North American, African and European styles. All go through the same process as described below-
- Apply wax and dye the fabric in a selected color.
- Apply to repel as per the design
- Dye the fabric with different color
- Repeat the process if necessary
- Remove the wax from the fabric
After the fabric is made, the process of sewing begins. Since Batik fabric is delicate, it can easily shrink as it is made of natural dyes, colored and soaked in water, clay, etc. And to avoid any shrinking.
There are some tips and tricks on how to sew a delicate Batik Fabric:
1. Picking an appropriate pattern
Choosing a gentle pattern according to the fabric will result in smooth textured apparel. Avoiding solid design can lead to hustle and will damage the fabric. Including small, soft and gentle designs leads to delicate and smooth interlinking of the apparel without any hassle
2. Finding the seam
Delicate fabric is fragile, so it tends to rip easily. To avoid this, finish the sewing of a delicate fabric will result in a nice and smooth texture to the apparel.
Delicate fabric is smooth, slippery, and can be stretchy when cut into pieces. The different layers should be cut separately to avoid any wastage. The usage of a sharp tip cutter will always result in good texture.
4- Usage of Big tables
When a delicate fabric is cut, it needs support to avoid stretches, and fray since they are soft. The fabric needs its own space to rely on to have perfect sewing and avoid any bump in between, making the task easier.
5- Stitching the curves
Lightweight fabric can lose the fray, making it difficult to sew curves because delicate fiber resists being sewed like collars, arm cycles, etc. To sew them together using a lining that will make the fabric tough.
While designing clothes, avoid stonework and weighted appliques as it affects sewing. Adorning the fabric with a heavy design can result in the ripping of clothes and difficulty in the process of sewing.
7- Thread Usage
While sewing, the thread should be looked on to prevent needle threshing and twisting. Investing in a quality thread will result in good moving action of the machine as well as it will not damage the fabric.
While giving a final touch to the fabric use lining, and colorful bindings to seam the curvy necklines, and arm cycles. Make sure to zip the lining which gives the same face of the apparel on either side.
These are some basic tips to be kept in mind while working with a delicate fabric. Batik fabric is one the delicate fabric and needs proper attention while sewing it.
Let's go through the tips that should be used while working with Batik fabric:-
- Batik fabric is toughly weaved while the dying process. The usage of a fine and sharp needle should be used while sewing it to avoid making holes in the cotton mixed batik.
- To avoid weighted stitches to the fabric, a minimal and finer thread should be used to avoid any heaviness on the fabric since it is a delicate one.
- A delicate fabric tends to shrink, similarly batik shrinks during the process of dying, and to avoid any shrinkage during the process of cotton and batik mixture, it is advised to wash the cotton before taking it into the process of batik yarn making. Darbari always ensures to use tips and tricks which result in flawless material and give a smooth texture to the apparel.
- Many Batik fabrics recommend pre-washing with the hand and resting it to dry and flat. Though it is preferential, it is assumed that before moving with the fabric, it should be experimented on how the dye will take over the color.
- In the process of batik making, wax is used to design the fabric where it will be difficult to judge the right and the wrong side. It is only possible to see a fading, blurry effect over the fabric to judge which side should be used.
- Since Batik is tightly weaved, there is less chance that the thread will fray but results in perfect applique.
- Batik has very different designs, so when you are working over the design, try to maximize the layering pattern with the fabric.
- Before starting the sewing process, calm your mind and relax your body. Stress or anxiety will result in disaster and leave you feeling worse if it doesn't come out like you planned.
Batik fabric is usually used in quilting, dressmaking, bags, purses, etc. At Darbari, the quality is ensured and stocked to give an ancient look while having unique and flawless apparel to be flaunted. Batik does not limit itself here but can also allow your creativity to take you to another level with various radiant colors.
Nowadays, Batik is in the trend where having different designs, and pattern compliments the fabric in the process of sewing. Get your batik apparel at Darbari, where quality matters over quantity.